Dear Class of 2021,
I can only imagine that the events connected to COVID 19 and your junior year are frustrating. Here is a brief update on opportunities to stay on top of the college planning process:
- Junior College/Life After ARHS Meeting with Ms. Cuffee-Gray – Meet with me for an initial planning conversation (regardless of your plans). Here’s an online link – now that in-person school has been cancelled, the online calendar for meetings will be expanded – https://calendly.com/cuffee-grayd/junior-college-planning-meeting
- COVID 19 College Admissions Database – National Association of College Admissions Counselors – Track changes to requirements, testing, tours, etc. – https://www.nacacnet.org/news–publications/newsroom/college-admission-status-coronavirus/
- Test Optional Colleges (expanded list for Class of 2021)- With the reduction in testing dates for SAT & ACT Many schools have dropped or significantly changed their standardized testing requirements – https://www.fairtest.org/university/optional
- Teacher Recommendations – We have moved the week for requesting teacher recommendations to May 18th. Please remain an active and engaged member of your junior classes. The suggestion is one Math OR Science teacher AND one English OR Social Studies teacher from your junior year. A detailed outline of the process will be sent the week of May 11th.
- School Counselor Recommendation – The four assigned school counselor and the ARHS College & Career Advisor will write your School Counselor Recommendation. This recommendation is an overview of your growth both academically, and as a community member. Students will have an interview with their counselor, or Ms. Cuffee-Gray prior to the recommendation being written.
- Standardized Testing – AP Exams – you’ve been notified by your AP teachers (https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/students). SAT – June test has been cancelled – more information – (https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat?navId=apcovid-sat) & ACT June 13th exam is currently scheduled – (https://www.act.org/). Fee Waivers are available for eligible students. Contact Ms. Garrity.
- Virtual College Fairs – STRIVE SCAN COLLEGE EXPLORATION WEEK – https://www.strivescan.com/virtual/ | Coalition for College – April 23rd is closed – sign up for next event – http://coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/april-2020-virtual-fair.html | the BIG Virtual College Fair http://collegefair.thebigvirtual.com/national-online-college-admissions-fair-student-registration-and-information | College Fairs Online https://collegefairsonline.com/
- Webinars – College Vine https://blog.collegevine.com/collegevine-webinars/ | College Essay Guy https://www.collegeessayguy.com/the-webinar-club | College Board Webinars for Parents and Guardians https://parents.collegeboard.org/webinars | MEFA – Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority – https://www.mefa.org/webinars/webinars/
- ARHS College Planning Workshops – Live! With Your Own Peeps! We hosted a college essay brainstorm workshop on April 15th. Expect workshops on Common Application, College Essay, Building Your College List, GAP Year Options in Upcoming Weeks on Google Hangout Meet.
Take Care and Be Well…
Your Friendly Neighborhood College and Career Counselor, Deidre Cuffee-Gray
phone – 413 362-1720
email – email@example.com