This letter is to update you on the planning underway for summer special education instruction and services for your child(ren) for this upcoming summer.
Last week, on May 21st & 22nd you received messages from our office with a form to complete about summer offerings we are planning.
We now have information from the Public Health Director of Amherst that based on the CDC guidelines it is not advisable to hold summer programming in the schools. The resources, training and protocols that would need to be put into place to prevent the spread of COVDI-19 is not possible before the start of summer programming. For this reason, summer services will continue as remote services.
As indicated on the form you received, we need your response Friday, May 29th. If you have not had an opportunity to respond yet, please click here to access the form: Special Education Summer Services Response.
We did receive some questions and wanted to answer those here so you have the information needed to send in what instruction and/or services you want your child to receive this summer. Here are some answers to questions that we are receiving:
We do need you to complete this form to let us know if you child will be accessing instruction or services this summer.
– Summer services are being offered to all students with IEPs this summer regardless of whether or not ESY (Extended School Year) is in the IEP. Our decision to offer summer services for all students with IEPs is to address the challenges faced by many during this time of school closure. Specifics are:
– If your child has not previously had extended school year services because the Team did not find that your child substantially regresses during the summer months.
– Despite that fact, the District is offering services over this summer as a result of the Mandatory School Closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The District believes that such services could assist your child as he/she transitions into the next grade after having experienced a disrupted 2019-2020 school year.
– If your child has had extended school year services in prior school years because the Team found your child substantially regresses during the summer months.
– While the Team may not have had the opportunity to make that determination this year as a result of the Mandatory School Closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the District is offering your child services over this summer. The extended school year services that are being offered are more than those offered in the past because the District believes that this amount of services not only will prevent substantial regression for your child but could also assist your child as he/she transitions into the next grade after having experienced a disrupted 2019-2020 school year.
We thank you for your partnership always and especially during this time. Our Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) has been in routine contact with us and we are also hearing directly from some families. Your input and suggestions continually help us while we walk this journey with the health, safety, and best interests of your children in the forefront of our decision making.
Wishing you all our very best.
Hoping you all stay well.
Director of Student Services
Student Services Administrator