Hello Parents and Guardians of ARHS Class of 2020 Students,
This is Deidre Cuffee-Gray, the College and Career Advisor, emailing to check in with you regarding the college planning and “Life after ARHS” process here at Amherst Regional High School.
I joined your seniors’ guidance counselors on Day 1 to give a brief overview of the college planning process and I want to briefly share that information.
First of all breathe! This is an exciting time for you and your senior. You are a part of an amazing academic community that is here to prepare your student for this process. I’m excited to join ARHS.
Regardless of a senior’s chosen path, I would love to meet with you and your senior to listen to what their plans are for “Life after ARHS.” All seniors have an opportunity to schedule a senior college planning meeting with me. If you did not schedule a junior college meeting, please strongly consider setting up a meeting earlier in the fall with your senior. We want to support seniors to be planful about the paths that they are considering choosing – this is true for 4 year college/university, community college, GAP year, employment, volunteer corps like Americorps or the military.
For seniors considering a four year college or university, they must complete a “Senior Questionnaire for College Conference 2020” in Naviance prior to being able to set up a meeting. This survey must also be completed for seniors to meet with their guidance counselor for a school counselor recommendation.
We would like to encourage you to create or log onto a Parent Naviance account. Please take time to complete the “Parent/Guardian Survey 4 Senior College Conference” survey. This will allow guidance counselors to learn about your senior from a parent/guardian point of view.
We will begin scheduling appointments after the add/drop deadline on September 5th.
There are a number of events planned in October. We sent your senior home with a College Planning Handbook, please take a look at it. I have listed below as well.
The ARHS Guidance Team is looking forward to working with the Class of 2020.
- Be sure to check Naviance for upcoming College visits. Naviance has the most up-to-date information on who is coming and when they will be there.
- WRITE YOUR COLLEGE ESSAY!!! Beginning 10/7 2:30-3:30. Mondays after school college essay and college application support. Stop procrastinating!! Details will follow.
- Essay Day. Seniors sign up for college essay support from Amherst College students. 30 minute slots during the school day. See Crystal Garrity in the Guidance Office to sign up.
- Requests for school portion of applications (transcript, recommendations) must be in Naviance for November 1st college deadlines. Make recommendation appointment with counselor
- NCAA Eligibility Conversation. Join Victoria Stewart, ARHS Athletic Director and panel of college coaches and athletic directors to learn about being a scholar athlete during your college years.
- College Planning and Naviance Overview in Senior Advisory; Make Up Day Oct 11
- Smith College essay-writing presentation; Campus Center Carroll Room; 7-9 pm; all welcome. Free. No registration necessary.
- 2020-2021 FAFSA and CSS Profile available for completion; Use 2018 federal income tax return; complete fin aid forms ASAP. Meet fin aid deadlines
- Teacher recommendations due in Naviance for students w/ November 1 deadlines